Love Your Neighbor Emergency Assistance
The Love Your Neighbor (LYN) fund provides emergency assistance to up to Story County families.
LYN is funded by the tithe of 2.96% of the parish collection, including envelopes, loose change and direct deposits. LYN also accepts donations from individuals, and occasional grants from other sources. In 2016-17 nine parishioners volunteer to interview those who come to the parish seeking help. The vast majority of assistance is homelessness prevention in the form of rent and utility payments.
To Qualify for Assistance
A household must not have been helped by a parish fund within the previous 12 months. To make an appointment, call either the 1st or 3rd Thursday morning at 8am to determine if funds are available. If so, you will have an opportunity to schedule an appointment for the following week. Since there are only eight (8) appointments available each of the two weeks, they are often all scheduled by 8:30am, so it is important that one call right at 8am and keep trying until you get through to a live person. Do not leave a voicemail message.
- Denials (or offers of help) from MICA and Story County Community Services and/or Story County Veterans Administraton AND,
- Copy of utility bill showing past due amount (if requesting utility assistance).
- Copy of lease and past due notice from landlord (if requesting rental assistance).
- Copy of lease or utility contract stating amount of deposit (if requesting deposit assistance).
- State issued identification card or other legal form of identification.
For more information about the program or how to volunteer, contact Tom Budnik.
Annually during Advent, the parish brings in goods from the local Fair Trade Store, Worldly Goods, to raise awareness of fair trade and as a fundraiser for Love Your Neighbor. The 2016 sale raised nearly $6,000 for the fund. To volunteer to assist with the sale, contact Tom Budnik.