Dulce Nombre de María, in Dulce Nombre, Copan, Honduras
The Honduras Ministry Committee was created as the body responsible for facilitating the building of a partner parish relationship between the people of St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church, Ames, Iowa, USA, and the people of Dulce Nombre de María Parish in the Diocese of Santa Rosa de Copán, Copán, Honduras.
God calls us to walk with the people of Santa Rosa de Copán, to build relationships with them. We are present with them, will help as we can, but primarily we seek to learn about life from their experience and perspective. We will listen and be supportive.
We seek educate the people of St. Thomas Aquinas parish about the people of Honduras, and especially the Catholics of Santa Rosa De Copán.
We will support our representative John Donaghy in prayer, and in presence as he walks in their midst.
Regular committee meetings are on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at 7pm at St. Thomas Aquinas in the Newman Room. Check the parish calendar for any changes to this schedule. Guests and new members welcome at any time!
Honduras Ministry Committee Meeting Notes
Thursday, January 5, 2017, 6 pm (Newman/Bethany Room)
Present: Diane, Becky, Jean-Pierre, Phil, Levi, Emily, Lois, Carl, Tom, David
- Opening Prayer
- Maestro En Casa Scholarships
- We will send $3000 now for scholarships and John will let us know if additional funds are needed once they have reviewed applications
- Discuss parish engagement in smaller circles (Religious Education, Bible Study Groups, etc…)
- Brainstorm with leaders of STA smaller groups on how to establish engagement with Dulce Nombre parish members:
- Dulce Nombre’s thought is to start with a select group of Youth Group Base Communities (16-21 year olds).
- Coffee Association
- STA needs to inform El Zapote coffee association by mid-January on quantity wanted – Coffee Committee met yesterday evening, and voted that the amount of coffee they would purchase is 4050 lbs (27 bags 150 lbs each)
- Honduras committee discussed this, and heard the reasons for the increase over last year, and agreed that it would support this effort.
- Dulce Nombre Parish Coffee Lands
- This is on hold in Honduras as they are not ready to tackle it. The retaining wall is the first step to undertaken, and it has not begun at this time.
- Possible person interested in working in the parish
- We discussed this.
- We first should talk with Fr. German and John to determine if they are interested in something like this
- Then determine if there would be a local, or someone the parish is familiar with that might be better suited
- Next Meeting, Thursday 2/2
- Carl will check on a possiblly working with the Gehlen group that goes to Honduras.
- Base Community Small Group Engagement Plan update from Honduras
Some Initatives and Outreach Projects (since 2007)
Direct Trade Coffee Project
Prayer partners between Honduran and American Extraordinary Ministers of Communion
Annual scholarship fundraising events for Honduran children
Construction of parish center kitchen and dining area
Solidarity Quilt hangings for every church in both parishes.
Distribution of St. Thomas Aquinas and Dulce Nombre prayer cards
ISU in-class projects (study of grain storage & radio tower project)
Pyxes for new Extraordinary Ministers of Communion
Support for training of Catechists
Scholarships and computers for "Maestro en Casa" education program
Distribution of Oral Hygiene Kits (collected from Vacation Bible School children)
Immersion trips for over 50 St. Thomas resident and student parishioners (currently suspended)
Family Garden initiative